- Jennifer A Rabbitts, Cornelius B Groenewald, Adam K Jacob, Phillip A Low, and Timothy B Curry.
- Department of Anesthesiology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA. email@example.com
- J Clin Anesth. 2011 Aug 1; 23 (5): 384392384-92.
Study ObjectiveTo investigate whether patients with postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS) developed unexpected perioperative complications.DesignRetrospective case series.SettingAcademic medical center.MeasurementsThe records of 13 patients with POTS, who underwent surgical procedures during general anesthesia, were studied. Details of disease management, anesthetic induction, hemodynamic response to induction and intubation, intraoperative course, and immediate postoperative management were analyzed.Main ResultsThree patients developed prolonged intraoperative hypotension, which was not associated with induction of anesthesia. All 13 patients were successfully treated and they recovered without complications. There were no unplanned hospital or intensive care admissions.ConclusionsIntraoperative hypotension, but not tachycardia, was observed in three of 13 patients with POTS who received general anesthesia for a variety of surgical procedures using multiple medications and techniques.Copyright © 2011 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
This article appears in the collection: Anaesthesia and POTS (Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome).
Knowledge, pearl, summary or comment to share?
You can also include formatting, links, images and footnotes in your notes
- Simple formatting can be added to notes, such as
- Superscript can be denoted by
- Numbered or bulleted lists can be created using either numbered lines
1. 2. 3., hyphens
- Links can be included with:
[my link to pubmed](http://pubmed.com)
- Images can be included with:
![alt text](https://bestmedicaljournal.com/study_graph.jpg "Image Title Text")
- For footnotes use
[^1](This is a footnote.)inline.
- Or use an inline reference
[^1]to refer to a longer footnote elseweher in the document
[^1]: This is a long footnote..