- Mark Hallett, Selma Aybek, Barbara A Dworetzky, Laura McWhirter, Jeffrey P Staab, and Jon Stone.
- Human Motor Control Section, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA. Electronic address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Lancet Neurol. 2022 Jun 1; 21 (6): 537-550.
AbstractFunctional neurological disorder is common in neurological practice. A new approach to the positive diagnosis of this disorder focuses on recognisable patterns of genuinely experienced symptoms and signs that show variability within the same task and between different tasks over time. Psychological stressors are common risk factors for functional neurological disorder, but are often absent. Four entities-functional seizures, functional movement disorders, persistent perceptual postural dizziness, and functional cognitive disorder-show similarities in aetiology and pathophysiology and are variants of a disorder at the interface between neurology and psychiatry. All four entities have distinctive features and can be diagnosed with the support of clinical neurophysiological studies and other biomarkers. The pathophysiology of functional neurological disorder includes overactivity of the limbic system, the development of an internal symptom model as part of a predictive coding framework, and dysfunction of brain networks that gives movement the sense of voluntariness. Evidence supports tailored multidisciplinary treatment that can involve physical and psychological therapy approaches.Copyright © 2022 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
Knowledge, pearl, summary or comment to share?
You can also include formatting, links, images and footnotes in your notes
- Simple formatting can be added to notes, such as
- Superscript can be denoted by
- Numbered or bulleted lists can be created using either numbered lines
1. 2. 3., hyphens
- Links can be included with:
[my link to pubmed](http://pubmed.com)
- Images can be included with:
![alt text](https://bestmedicaljournal.com/study_graph.jpg "Image Title Text")
- For footnotes use
[^1](This is a footnote.)inline.
- Or use an inline reference
[^1]to refer to a longer footnote elseweher in the document
[^1]: This is a long footnote..