Randomized Controlled Trial Comparative Study
- Chiu-Ming Ho, Hsin-Jung Tsai, Kwok-Hon Chan, and Shen-Kou Tsai.
- Department of Anesthesiology, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan. email@example.com
- Anesth. Analg. 2006 Mar 1;102(3):900-3.
AbstractNausea and vomiting are major adverse effects during spinal anesthesia for cesarean delivery. Stimulation of the P6 (Neiguan) acupoint is a traditional Chinese acupuncture technique used for effective antiemetic purposes. In this study, we evaluated the antiemetic effect of P6 acupressure in parturients during spinal anesthesia for cesarean delivery. In a randomized, double-blind, controlled trial, 110 parturients scheduled for elective cesarean delivery were enrolled in the study. Thirty minutes before initiation of spinal anesthesia, parturients were randomized to acupressure bands or placebo bands bilaterally on the P6 acupoint and nausea and vomiting were observed over the study period. There were no statistically significant differences in maternal characteristics. Incidence rates for intraoperative nausea were 64% (acupressure group) and 71% (control group) (P = 0.416), with an incidence of intraoperative vomiting of 22% (acupressure group) and 27% (control group) (P = 0.506). The results suggest that prophylactic use of acupressure bands bilaterally on the P6 acupoint failed to prevent nausea and vomiting during spinal anesthesia for cesarean delivery.
Knowledge, pearl, summary or comment to share?
You can also include formatting, links, images and footnotes in your notes
- Simple formatting can be added to notes, such as
- Superscript can be denoted by
- Numbered or bulleted lists can be created using either numbered lines
1. 2. 3., hyphens
- Links can be included with:
[my link to pubmed](http://pubmed.com)
- Images can be included with:
![alt text](https://bestmedicaljournal.com/study_graph.jpg "Image Title Text")
- For footnotes use
[^1](This is a footnote.)inline.
- Or use an inline reference
[^1]to refer to a longer footnote elseweher in the document
[^1]: This is a long footnote..