- Fiia P Gäddnäs, Marjo Koskela, Vesa Koivukangas, Jouko Laurila, Juha Saarnio, Juha Risteli, Aarne Oikarinen, and Tero Ala-Kokko.
- Department of Anaesthesiology, Division of Intensive Care, Oulu University Hospital, P.O. Box 21, FI-90029 Oulu, Finland. email@example.com
- Anesth. Analg. 2010 Jul 1;111(1):156-63.
BackgroundSkin is an essential barrier in maintaining a stable internal environment. Adequate regenerative capacity is crucial to overcome the homeostatic challenges caused by a septic insult. In sepsis, coagulation and inflammation are activated to restore homeostasis, but it is not known whether sepsis also alters tissue regeneration processes such as skin collagen synthesis.MethodsIn this prospective observational study, we measured aminoterminal propeptides of collagens I and III (PINP, PIIINP) from blister fluid of sepsis patients. Blister fluid was obtained from experimental blisters induced on intact abdominal skin 4 times: within the first 48 hours from the first organ failure, on the fifth day, and at 3 and 6 months thereafter. Forty-four patients with severe sepsis were enrolled. The median age was 63 years (25th-75th percentile, 53-71 years). The median Acute Physiology and Chronic Health Evaluation II score on admission was 26 (22-30). Thirty-day mortality was 25%. Fifteen healthy adults were used as controls.ResultsMedian PIIINP and PINP levels in septic patients were lower in comparison with controls in the first blister (40.8 microg/L [25th-75th percentile, 22.2-77.1 microg/L], P = 0.028 and 69.9 microg/L [32.4-112.7 microg/L], P < 0.001, respectively) and in the blister induced on day 5 (38.8 microg/L [19.9-68.5 microg/L], P < 0.001 and 90.0 [35.1-138.8 microg/L], P < 0.001, respectively). The survivors revealed an overexpression at 3 months, whereas normal values of PIIINP and PINP were reestablished at 6 months.ConclusionsSkin collagen synthesis is depressed during severe sepsis and is followed by a compensatory response 3 and 6 months after the onset of sepsis.
Knowledge, pearl, summary or comment to share?
You can also include formatting, links, images and footnotes in your notes
- Simple formatting can be added to notes, such as
- Superscript can be denoted by
- Numbered or bulleted lists can be created using either numbered lines
1. 2. 3., hyphens
- Links can be included with:
[my link to pubmed](http://pubmed.com)
- Images can be included with:
![alt text](https://bestmedicaljournal.com/study_graph.jpg "Image Title Text")
- For footnotes use
[^1](This is a footnote.)inline.
- Or use an inline reference
[^1]to refer to a longer footnote elseweher in the document
[^1]: This is a long footnote..