- H McNamara, S Mallaiah, P Barclay, C Chevannes, and A Bhalla.
- Tom Bryson Department of Anaesthesia, Liverpool Women's Hospital, Liverpool, UK. Electronic address: email@example.com.
- Int J Obstet Anesth. 2015 May 1;24(2):174-9.
AbstractPlacental abruption may cause significant haemorrhage and coagulopathy that can progress rapidly due to simultaneous consumption and depletion of clotting factors. Plasma fibrinogen levels are predictive of further haemorrhage. Rapid detection and treatment of hypofibrinogenaemia is essential in the evolving clinical and haematological situation. The use of near-patient testing of coagulation using rotational thromboelastometry (ROTEM) allows dynamic monitoring of coagulopathy. Following the introduction of fibrinogen concentrate into our unit, a ROTEM-guided algorithm was developed for use in obstetric haemorrhage. We describe four cases of placental abruption, haemorrhage and severe coagulopathy that span the introduction of the algorithm. Three cases were associated with intrauterine death and the fourth with delivery of an extremely premature neonate. Rotational thromboelastometry was used in all cases but methods of fibrinogen replacement differ, illustrating evolving management of the condition in our unit.Copyright © 2015 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
This article appears in the collection: Use of ROTEM & TEG in obstetric hemorrhage.
Knowledge, pearl, summary or comment to share?
You can also include formatting, links, images and footnotes in your notes
- Simple formatting can be added to notes, such as
- Superscript can be denoted by
- Numbered or bulleted lists can be created using either numbered lines
1. 2. 3., hyphens
- Links can be included with:
[my link to pubmed](http://pubmed.com)
- Images can be included with:
![alt text](https://bestmedicaljournal.com/study_graph.jpg "Image Title Text")
- For footnotes use
[^1](This is a footnote.)inline.
- Or use an inline reference
[^1]to refer to a longer footnote elseweher in the document
[^1]: This is a long footnote..