Randomized Controlled Trial Multicenter Study
Pregabalin and ketamine given together have a small, additive effect in reducing post-operative pain after total hip arthroplasty.pearl
- V Martinez, A Cymerman, S Ben Ammar, J F Fiaud, C Rapon, F Poindessous, T Judet, M Chauvin, D Bouhassira, D Sessler, X Mazoit, and D Fletcher.
- Department of Anaesthesia, Assistance Publique Hôpitaux de Paris, Hôpital Raymond Poincaré, Garches, France.
- Anaesthesia. 2014 Jan 1;69(1):46-52.
AbstractKetamine and pregabalin each provide postoperative analgesia, although the combination has yet to be evaluated. One hundred and forty-two patients undergoing total hip arthroplasty were randomly assigned to receive ketamine alone, pregabalin alone, ketamine and pregabalin combined, or placebo. Pain scores at rest and on movement, morphine consumption, side-effects, pressure pain thresholds and secondary hyperalgesia were evaluated. Mean (SD) total 48-h morphine use was reduced in patients given ketamine alone (52 (22) mg) and pregabalin alone (44 (20) mg) compared with placebo (77 (36) mg) p < 0.001. Morphine use was further reduced in patients given both ketamine and pregabalin (38 (19) mg) with an interaction between ketamine and pregabalin (ANOVA factorial; p = 0.028). Secondary hyperalgesia was reduced by ketamine. There were no differences between groups in pain scores after surgery, pressure pain thresholds or side-effects. The combination of pregabalin and ketamine has a small, beneficial clinical effect.© 2013 The Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland.
This article appears in the collection: Ketamine infusions.
Knowledge, pearl, summary or comment to share?
You can also include formatting, links, images and footnotes in your notes
- Simple formatting can be added to notes, such as
- Superscript can be denoted by
- Numbered or bulleted lists can be created using either numbered lines
1. 2. 3., hyphens
- Links can be included with:
[my link to pubmed](http://pubmed.com)
- Images can be included with:
![alt text](https://bestmedicaljournal.com/study_graph.jpg "Image Title Text")
- For footnotes use
[^1](This is a footnote.)inline.
- Or use an inline reference
[^1]to refer to a longer footnote elseweher in the document
[^1]: This is a long footnote..